Volunteer at Eastvalley
Each hour that parents volunteer at Eastvalley improves our school. Below is a list of volunteer opportunities that enrich the elementary school experience for our kids.
If you have any questions about the volunteer opportunities, email Laura Allen and Becky Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To sign up for volunteer positions for the 2017-2018 school year, click here.
Eastvalley PTA Committee Descriptions
- Art Appreciation / Art Print introduces students to the visual arts. Monthly, a parent volunteer gathers the Art print lesson from the PTA room and teaches this lesson to the class. Materials are available in the PTA room. Every class needs an Art print coordinator.
- Blog: Volunteers post important information as well as fun photos from class, extracurricular, and PTA activities to the PTA blog.
- Box Tops: FUNDRAISING –General Mills donate a portion of your purchase to Eastvalley PTA. Collect box tops from General Mills’ products!
- Budget: This committee, chaired by the EV PTA Treasurer, reviews requests and prior funding for committees in compiling annual proposed budget for PTA activities.
- Calendar: Collect all EV PTA/Foundation & school event information for the year and post to a Google calendar accessible to all parents.
- Directory: Volunteers collect all directory information on the students at the beginning of the year, coordinate the information, work with the publisher and distribute to the students. Done in beginning of year.
- Early Bird Readers: Early morning targeted reading program
- Eastvalley Math Night: Organize an engaging night of Math fun, including grade-specific scavenger hunt, held at the Kroger East Lake store in March. Requires committee to pre-plan and execute the event.
- Eastvalley Reading Club (EVRC) EDUCATIONAL ENRICHMENT; EVRC is a reading incentive program based on Accelerated Reader achievements. It provides recognition and rewards for student achievement. Volunteers research books to be included in EVRC, organize assemblies, distribute awards, update reading points bulletin board. Early Bird Readers: Early morning targeted reading program
- Education Enrichment Campaign Committee: Help the PTA & Foundation leadership with the capital campaign to raise funds for Eastvalley. Fall semester.
- Electronic Educational Resources
- Fall Family Fun Event: Eastvalley fall event celebrating our community with food, entertainment, games and more. This is an annual Eastvalley priority event requiring a multitude of volunteers for planning and executing the festivities.
- Field Day: Assist Coach Albert with the planning and running of the school’s Field Day in the Spring. Coordinate activities, events and special guests.
- Friends & Family Luncheon: One week during the year every grade’s friends and relatives are invited to enjoy lunch at school with their student. Volunteers are needed to decorate cafeteria with tablecloths and decorations. Cashiers are needed to collect lunch payment and dispense tickets at the door.
- Hearing & Vision provides volunteers to assist the School Nurse during the fall screenings. Volunteers will escort classes to and from the screenings, organize the times of the screenings, and assist during the screening.
- Honoring Our Heroes is an essay contest where students submit their essays for review. The committee organizes and collects essays from the students, gets judges to review the essays, and awards the winners at a General PTA meeting, submit winners to district contest.
- International Night / Cultural Affairs celebrates the many cultures represented by Eastvalley students and their families. This is a priority annual event in the Spring and requires many volunteers to plan and execute the festivities.
- Legislative: Help keep parents aware and promote the position of the PTA in any legislative issues that could affect Eastvalley students/staff.
- Media Center Volunteers: Help media specialists by shelving books, checking books in/out, and helping students with selections.
- Membership: Help promote PTA membership at Eastvalley. Activities are focused in the Fall.
- Open House / Parent Orientation volunteers organize and staff the first school event in the fall to allow families to learn about and join the PTA & Foundation, purchase school merchandise, visit classrooms, and meet teachers.
- Outreach: Help out with needs in the community and teach students to be good citizens. Find opportunities to help those in need in our community.
- Outside Revenue Resources: Identifies, communicates and tracks outside programs that bring in extra school funds.
- Parent/Child Events include Parent/Daughter and Parent/Son activities that promote one-on-one interaction.
- Partners in Education is a Cobb County Chamber of Commerce program designed to bring businesses together with school communities. Assist in the development of Eastvalley’s Partners in Education.
- Picture Day provide volunteers to assist teacher and photographer for school pictures – comb hair etc.
- PTA Communications: Co-secretary of the PTA updates the Eastvalley family through email blast notifications containing news and updates.
- Red Ribbon Week promotes drug and alcohol awareness in the school. Help organize Red Ribbon Week Activities; research safety issues and distribute educational materials; arrange programs to encourage health and safety.
- Reflections EDUCATIONAL ENRICHMENT – Help with this annual PTA program encouraging original works of photography, visual arts, music, literature, dance and video production. This National PTA cultural arts program that allows students to compete for prizes and recognition by grade at the local council, state, and national levels.
- Room Representatives: One or two needed for each class and one coordinator needed per grade level. Coordinates parent volunteers for class for center times, field trips, parties, PTA events and organizes teacher appreciation gifts from class. Sign-up in your child’s classroom for individual class responsibilities.
- Scholarship Committee: Review submissions for EVES scholarship from seniors at Wheeler High School.
- School Supplies: Chairperson organizes this service in the spring for the following year. Remaining committee members needed to help with distribution at the beginning of the school year.
- Science Day/ Science Fair: provides science enrichment through guest presentations and activities at Eastvalley. Currently in the Spring with School Science Fair.
- Scrips: Gift Card purchasing program with benefits to school programs
- Spirit Wear volunteers provide Eastvalley merchandise for purchase. Help design and sell spiritwear in the fall or other school events as applicable, help deliver special orders.
- Square One Art: FUNDRAISING; This popular program captures student art and displays it on various merchandise for sale. Organizers, collect the artwork from the Art teacher, organize and mail artwork to Square-1-Art, distribute order forms, collect and mail in forms, receive merchandise and distribute to parents.
- Staff Appreciation EDUCATIONAL SUPPORT; providing hospitality for special school events. Coordinate Teacher Appreciation Luncheon Week, Solicit volunteers to send in food as needed and coordinate staff gifts.
- Student Recognition volunteers publicize student awards via displays throughout the school and put together small goodie bags with awards for the students. The subcommittees of this committee are: Character Kid and Look Who’s Talking Books.
- Tune Out TV Week: Volunteers provide evening alternatives to TV viewing for a week usually coinciding with Spring Testing.
- Volunteer Coordinator: Volunteers coordinate all volunteer information sheets and dispenses the information to the committee heads and also attempts to find volunteers for committees throughout the year. Make parents aware of volunteer opportunities at the school. Encourages participation of parents who might be new to the school system and/or have language/communication barriers.
- Yearbook: EDUCATIONAL ENRICHMENT, Volunteers captures school photos and memories for lifelong enjoyment; Work with yearbook vendors to produce Eastvalley yearbook; organize sales opportunities throughout the year.
Volunteer Opportunities (Non-Committee):
- Bakers: Bake Goodies as needed for various events
- Book Fair: EDUCATIONAL SUPPORT of student reading; FUNDRAISING for Eastvalley’s Media Center. Help sell new books in Media Center. SIGN-UP IN THE MEDIA CENTER.
- Media Center: EDUCATIONAL SUPPORT – Help Media Specialist by shelving books, checking books in/out, and helping children with book selections. SIGN-UP IN THE MEDIA CENTER.
- Volunteer where needed: For those volunteers who want to help wherever needed